While the S. 377 judgment has improved the legal rights of queer persons on paper, the condition of these rights in practise, a general lack of awareness and social stigma related to queer identities and orientations, and lack of means to identify or access to queer friendly resources are a hindrance to the holistic living of queer persons and is a violation of their right to live their life with dignity.
Theory of Change
Young people have a massive potential to change this narrative by becoming active agents of change towards solving the issues that continue to plague queer persons. This Queer Resource Centre is envisaged as a community based, queer youth led platform, both physical and virtual, that can help create societal structures that are welcoming and inclusive of queer persons.
- To serve as a platform to provide verified, hyperlocalised, details of queer friendly resources, in terms of healthcare, education, housing and legal services;
- To undertake projects, art based and otherwise, to increase the visibility of queer persons and identities in the public space and mainstream their presence;
- Raise awareness and build sensitisation towards queer identities and orientations, especially amongst children, young persons and their parents and educators – through a bunch of pro bono and paid activities.
Services for individuals:
- Workshops and training: training for individuals through independent, open to all, events
- Connecting queer persons to safe services: connecting queer persons to safe and verified services, on a paid or pro bono basis.
- Leadership programs: customised programs for queer persons who may be seeking specific mentoring opportunities to help them advance in their educational or career path.
Services for organisations:
- Audit and assessment: to understand the current sentiment towards and the rights structure for queer persons at your institution;
- Policy design and review: examining existing policies and creating new ones to ensure queer inclusion and protection at your institution;
- Design solutions: reviewing design for queer inclusion and offering recommendations and facilitating implementation of these recommendations at your institution;
- Training modules: we offer a series of training modules towards building empathy and a cultural shift towards inclusion of queer persons at your institution.
- Additional modules: for persons and organisations that wants to go beyond sensitisation, we also offer extended modules that focus specifically, in depth, on different aspects of the queer rights movement: mental health, legal rights, etc.
- Leadership programs: for queer persons at your institution who may be seeking specific mentoring opportunities to help them advance in their educational or career path.
#RainbowHeart was our first digital advocacy campaign around creating a space for queer persons to share their stories of acceptance – self acceptance or acceptance from others, and how that has transformed their journey. Here is a compilation of the first edition of this campaign: eight beautiful, heartwarming stories, of love, grit, and a determination to live life on their own terms.
DOWNLOAD THE RAINBOW HEART E-BOOK